Tommy Walker never really wanted to be a writer, but when his family was on the verge of homelessness he used the storytelling tricks he learned from years in acting and film to become a content marketing guru. In this episode, he shares those strategies with us — but chances are you’ve gotten advice from him before.
As editor-in-chief at Shopify Plus, CXL, and Quickbooks, he led the creation of top-performing content that helped position those brands as leaders in their respective industries. Plus, he’s contributed to other online publications like Unbounce, Smashing Magazine, Crazyegg, and more. So if you work in ecommerce, you’ve probably read something Tommy helped produce.
He recently founded WalkerBots Content Studios, a marketing consultancy that helps growth-stage B2B startups and enterprises use content to help customers realize that purchasing their products is "the next logical step."
"Try to understand the lifestyle your ideal customer is a part of and build content around that."
- Tommy Walker, Founder The Content Studio
Some topics we discuss are:
- Only invest in content with measurable outcomes
- How to truly put yourself in your customers’ shoes and understand what they want
- Bobbing and weaving: how to use startup agility to compete with the big guys
- The importance of building out a weekly content calendar
- How to use storytelling intrigue to break the mold
- How Tommy used his acting background to break into ecommerce marketing
- Writing: Practice makes perfect
About the guest
Founder, The Content Studio
Tommy Walker was the former global editor-in-chief at QuickBooks and the first marketing hire at Shopify Plus, and now runs The Content Studio, where he works with the world’s best-known brands to create industry-leading content programs.