Ready to rev up your retail strategy? You can start by building tailored checkout flows that optimize for the Power Trio (conversions, AOV, customer LTV). In this article, we’ll guide you through fine-tuning your checkout to maximize your Power Trio metrics and focus on customer profitability rather than just focusing on conversions alone.
What is a checkout flow?
Think of a checkout flow as a personalized shopping experience – a pathway designed specifically for your shoppers based on the unique criteria established by your brand. Tailored checkout flows hone in on achieving the ideal balance between the Power Trio metrics of conversion rates, AOV, and LTV to maximize customer profitability for your business.
Building your ideal checkout experience step-by-step
Want to craft a checkout experience that’s as unique as your customers? Here’s a four-step guide to help you build world-class checkout flows.
Set Your Criteria: define the triggers that launch a particular checkout flow.Here are some triggers to consider:
- Customer’s device
- Current channel
- Their previous buying behavior
- Repeat customer status
- Unique brand-specific considerations (special promotions, seasonal deals, unique bundles etc)
Design Your Interface: next, it’s time to decide how your checkout interface will look to your customers. Choices range from a simple one-page or three-page checkout to more advanced alternatives such as one-click, or embedded checkout. You may even choose a fully customized design that highlights your brand’s distinctiveness.
Shape Your Front-End Logic: this step involved specifying the front-end logic needed to deliver your ideal customer experience.
- Defining shipping options
- Popular options like Buy Online, Pick Up In Store (BOPIS)
- Incorporating any additional features or widgets that enhance the checkout process like loyalty programs, discounts, donation options, and other elements
Configure Your Back-End Logic: your final step is to set up the back-end logic that fulfills your business needs.
- Selecting your payment gateway
- Including any backup options if the primary gateway fails
- Determining the carrier to use
- Choosing an appropriate tax provider based on your needs
Following these four steps puts you on the fast track to crafting checkout flows that not only fine-tune your Power Trio metrics but also deliver an unforgettable shopping experience for your customers.
Bringing your checkout flows to life
Now that you’ve put together the building blocks of your ideal checkout experience, it’s time to bring your tailored checkout flows to life. Legacy commerce platforms can present some hurdles with their rigid, one-size-fits-all approaches – but, you don’t have to let that be a blocker for your business. We’ve got effective strategies to bypass these limitations and launch your tailored checkout flows with success.
To ensure seamless implementation, make sure your composable commerce solution checks these essential boxes:
1. Headless Architecture: embrace the flexibility of composable commerce with headless architecture. This API-first solution separates the front-end and back-end commerce functionality freeing you from the chains of legacy platform constraints. Headless architecture gives you the power to create a checkout experience that truly reflects your brand’s unique personality.
Headless functionality also ensures that your customers enjoy a consistent experience, no matter the channel or device. The best part? Headless architecture also means that you can test different checkout flows and interfaces to make dialing in your Power Trio metrics easy as 1,2,3.
2. Ecosystem of Partners: building a world-class checkout experience requires a band of experienced partners. Payment providers, shipping carriers, loyalty program providers, promotional tools etc are all important partnership considerations. Access to qualified and experienced partners is your secret weapon to building comprehensive, intuitive checkout flows. Offering diverse payment options and flexible shipping can boost conversions and trust. Likewise, integrating with loyalty programs can foster repeat purchases and increase customer LTV while leveraging promotional tools can make your campaigns sing. Selecting a solution with pre-integrated partners simplifies your efforts and speeds up your time-to-market.
3. Extensibility: in today’s commerce landscape, it’s critical to future-proof your checkout flows with extensibility. This feature is a gateway to high customization and adaptability, allowing you to tweak business logic as you need. It provides room to align your checkout process with your brand strategy and rapidly respond to changing regulations and business needs. By harnessing extensibility, you can create a checkout flow that is as unique as your brand and delivers a phenomenal customer experience.
Take control of your checkout experience
Now that we’ve walked you through the steps of creating checkout flows optimized for the Power Trio metrics, it’s your turn to take the wheel. Remember, with tailored checkout flows, you’re not just enhancing your customer’s shopping experience, you’re also driving profit-critical metrics of conversions, AOV, and LTV. Tailored checkout flows are your key to boosting customer profitability while also providing a shopping experience tailored to your unique buyers.
Don’t let the limitations of your legacy commerce platform stand in your way. Bold is here to support you in your journey toward composable commerce.
Get the knowledge and inspiration you need to grow your business.
Bold Commerce needs your email to send newsletters. For more information, read our Privacy Statement.